If you’re looking to grow your hair, conceal a hair loss, or maybe you want to try out a new hair colour, then getting a wig is the right choice to make. However, taking care of your wigs can seem like a tricky task to achieve.
Figuring out how to properly clean and take care of wigs has been a cause for worry for numerous women. How do I properly clean my wig? Should I wash my wig often? How can I avoid damaging my wigs while washing them? These are questions that have troubled the minds of wig lovers all over the world. But like most things in life, properly cleaning wigs takes practice. When you properly care for your wigs, you make them look newer and last longer.
The right method to use in cleaning your wigs greatly depend on the type of wig you have, whether it’s a synthetic or human hair wig. It’s is essential that you employ the right method in cleaning your wigs to avoid creating tangles and damaging the fibres. In today’s post, I’ll be showing you the best tips on how to properly care for your synthetic and human hair wigs.
How frequently should I wash my wig?
Watching your wigs are essential in removing any build up that can weigh the hair down. When washing your wigs, avoid using harsh detergents, alcohol bases and other products that can dry your wigs.
For synthetic wigs, it is recommended that you wash them after every 15-20 wearing, or after 2-3 weeks. While for human hair wigs, it is recommended that you wash them after every 7-14 days.
However, if you live in a muggy environment and your style becomes curly and shrinks too quickly or your scalp often gets sweaty beneath your wig, then you might have to wash your wig every week.
How to wash a synthetic wig
To properly wash your synthetic wigs, follow these tips outlined below:
- Brush your wig gently with a good wig brush before washing. If your wig style is curly, it’s best to use your fingers to comb it through.
- Prepare a bowl or sink and pour cold water into that bowl or sink until it gets filled. Avoid using hot water to wash your wigs to prevent the hair fibres from damaging. Now add a tablespoon of your favourite wig shampoo.
- Turn the wig inside out by placing your hands inside the cap gently, then fully submerge the wig inside the water. Swirl the synthetic wig around gently and allow it to soak for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the wig from the soapy water gently, before draining the bowl or sink. Now place the wig under cold running water until the water becomes clear.
- Get a tablespoon of your favourite conditioner and apply it to the wig, using your fingers. Then leave it for two minutes inside a clean sink or bowl.
- Gently rinse the wig under cold running water until the water becomes clear.
- Wrap your wig in a towel gently, and squeeze lightly to remove excess water.
- Apply a conditioning spray on the wig, and leave it to dry on a wig stand
- Allow the wig to completely dry up before brushing or styling it.
How to wash a human hair wig
If you have a human hair wig, follow the steps below to properly wash them:
- Gentle comb the wig with a wig brush, or use your fingers to remove any tangles if it’s a curly hair wig to avoid tearing them with the wig comb.
- Add cold water into a sink or bowl until it’s full, and add a tablespoon of your favourite shampoo. Avoid using hot water, to prevent your hair fibres from getting damaged.
- Turn the wig inside out gently and fully immerse it into the water. Now, gently swirl the wig around and leave for 5 minutes.
- After soaking for 5 minutes, lift the wig out of the soapy water, and drain the bowl. Use cold water to run the wig until the water runs clear.
- Apply a tablespoon of your favourite conditioner to the wig, and gently run it through using your fingers. Then leave it for 2 minutes inside a clean bowl or sink.
- After leaving for 2 minutes inside the sink or bowl, rinse the wig gently using cold water. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- Use a towel to wrap the wig and squeeze lightly to remove excess water.
- Apply a conditioning spray on the wig and leave it to dry on a wig stand.
- Ensure the wig is completely dry before styling or brushing.