A lauded advantage that modern-day developers and would-be developers alike appreciate is that it is possible to develop fully functional websites or applications without building everything from scratch. This is made possible by using the readily available standardized software stacks. The trend for most developers in this age is to focus on getting the most appropriate software stack for the applications that they are designing. Hence, the success of any software development project is determined by the appropriateness of the combination of technologies that will be employed in development.
What is a technology (Software) stack?
Whether you are developing the frontend or backend of an application, it is vital to employ a set of tools that are designed to work together while also delivering the advantages that are specific to the application being developed. Using the right stack streamlines the process and resources of your project which ultimately reduces development time.
The MEAN (MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS, and Node.js) stack is one of the most popular technology stacks and the best for building dynamic and easily maintainable web and mobile applications.
The MEAN stack
MEAN stack technologies
- MongoDB is an open-source object-oriented NoSQL database system written in C++. It is document-oriented and stores application data in JSON-like documents. This database is easily scalable and has powerful queries and analytics which makes it a good option to handle large tables with millions of data entries.
- Ejs is a lightweight backend framework that is used to develop single, multi-page, and hybrid web applications in Node. Express.js is used to manage interactions between the database and the front-end so that data transfer to the front-end user is streamlined.
- Njs is a server-side execution environment that is mostly used for creating real-time data-intensive applications that run on distributed devices. Node.js can run on most OS including Windows, Linux, and OS X.
AngularJS accepts user requests and displays the results of the request.
Node.js manages client and server requests
Express.JS communicate requests to the database and supplies the response
MongoDB stores and retrieves application data.
Why MEAN stack is preferred
In addition to the fact that the MEAN stack allows developers to use a single language throughout the stack, the MEAN stack delivers several other advantages worth noting. That the MEAN stack web server and development technology set has been adopted by big names like SAP, Microsoft, Fiverr, and LinkedIn explains why its popularity keeps growing by the day.
Other MEAN stack benefits include:
- The use of a single programming language across the stack makes it possible to reuse code by transferring it easily from one framework to another.
- It is an open-source stack thus it can be installed and used free of charge. Deploying it is fast and easy since it is packaged with its own web server. It also enjoys vibrant community support and frequent updates.
- MEAN stack is perfect for developing cloud-hosted applications that are flexible and scalable. MongoDB, the database used in the MEAN stack scales easily on demand.
- It supports Model View Controller architecture and will facilitate the development of high-quality user interfaces.
- It facilitates fast and easy development, testing, and launching of the application. Testing can be done conveniently on the cloud. Also, the MEAN stack is compatible with the cloud making it cost-effective in terms of disk space cost.
- In the MEAN stack, data is represented in JSON-like document format in MongoDB, AngularJS, Node.js, and Express.JS. Therefore, data flow in the MEAN stack is streamlined. There is thus no need to reformat data into any specified format.
Are MEAN stack developers in demand?
The MEAN stack offers immense advantages to developers and businesses that are seeking to build robust interactive web applications that can be scaled fast and easily. It is relatively easy to use and can be used in developing complex websites and applications making it among the most preferred stacks. For this reason, the demand for the MEAN stack has risen remarkably steadily pushing up the demand for MEAN stack developers particularly by product-based companies like Netflix, eBay, and Paypal who use Node.js to power their websites and applications.