Moving is a daunting task, and when it comes to moving bulky items like a piano, it becomes even more challenging. A piano’s sheer weight and size make it a delicate move. The cost of a piano is also significantly high, and any damage during a move can be costly.
Therefore, hiring professional movers with experience in moving pianos is advisable. This blog post discusses how professional Moving Companies in Rhode Island can safely move your piano.
1. Assessing the Piano
Before any move, professional movers assess the piano to determine the best way to move it. Here’s how they evaluate your piano:
- Size of the Piano: Professional movers will assess the size and weight of your piano before they start packing it. This is important information to have, as it helps them determine what equipment and materials they need to move the piano safely.
- Type of Piano: Professional movers will also assess what kind of piano you have to determine how best to move it. Upright pianos are generally easier to move than grand pianos, as they are lighter and more compact. Grand pianos require special care and attention when being moved due to their size and weight.
- Condition of Piano: Movers will inspect your piano for any damage or signs of wear before attempting to move it. This is important because if there is existing damage, it can become worse during the moving process if not handled properly.
- Moving Materials Needed: Professional movers will assess what materials are needed for the move to ensure everything goes smoothly and safely. This includes things like blankets, straps, dollies, ramps, etc., which help protect your piano from damage while in transit and make loading/unloading easier for both the mover and the homeowner.
- Route Taken: Professional movers will also assess what course you should take when transporting your piano from one location to another to avoid potential hazards or obstacles (e.g., low bridges).
- Timeframe Needed: Movers will also assess how long it will take them to complete the job so that you can plan accordingly for their arrival time at each location (i.e., pick-up point and drop-off point).
2. Using the Right Equipment
Professional movers use specialized equipment to move pianos safely. This includes:
- Moving Blankets: Moving blankets are essential for protecting the piano during transit. They’re usually thick, quilted material and can cover the entire piano or certain parts.
- Straps: Professional movers will use heavy-duty straps to secure the piano to a dolly or other moving device. This prevents it from slipping off while in motion and helps to keep it safe and secure until it reaches its destination.
- Dollies: Dollies are wheeled platforms that make moving large objects such as pianos easier. Professional movers will typically use a dolly with straps that can be used to secure the piano in place while it’s being moved from one location to another.
- Protective Padding: Padding is usually placed around any vulnerable areas, such as corners or edges, where there is a risk of damage occurring during the move. This provides an extra layer of protection against scratches and dents that could arise if the piano were not properly padded before being transported.
- Ramps: Ramps are often necessary when moving a piano up or down stairs or over other obstacles, such as curbs or steps, to get it into its new home safely and securely without damaging it.
- Furniture Sliders: Furniture sliders are small pieces of equipment designed to move large items, such as pianos, across hard surfaces like tile, wood, concrete, etc., without causing any damage.
- Lifting Straps: These straps provide extra stability when lifting by distributing weight evenly throughout multiple points on both sides of the object being lifted instead of just one moment at a time like manual lifting techniques would require, which increases safety significantly when dealing with heavier items such as pianos etc.,
Moving a piano can be daunting, but it can be a seamless process with professional movers. Professional movers have trained personnel and the equipment to move the piano safely. They also provide insurance coverage that safeguards the piano against damages.
Therefore, it’s essential to hire professional movers to move your piano to ensure its safety during the move.