A well-done manicure can make you feel like a million bucks. But, as they say, beauty is in the details. Although your nails are relatively a small part of your fashion, they can speak for themselves. A perfectly chosen nail colour can pull an entire outfit together. Choosing nail polish is a lot like choosing an outfit. It depends on your style and mood.
In that case, no two people will have the same choice of nail polishes. From sparkles to a matte finish, there is one for every taste. Moreover, getting your nails done is a form of self-care in itself. So, continue reading to find out your perfect nail polish match.
How to Properly Apply Nail Polish?
Before jumping into the various nail polishes available, you must know how to apply them properly. Correct application can give you the feel of a luxury manicure at home.
- Firstly, use a good-quality nail polish remover to remove residual nail polish, excess oils and moisturiser. It ensures the nail paint sticks on properly. Also, use an acetone-free nail polish remover to prevent damage to the nails.
- Apply a layer of base coat. It prevents your nails from getting stained by nail polish, especially by darker shades. If you have weak nails, try using a strengthening base coat to strengthen and protect your nails.
- Contrary to popular belief, shaking a nail polish bottle creates undesirable bubbles. So instead, roll the bottle between your palms. Then, apply a thin layer of your preferred nail polish.
- After the first coat dries, apply a second layer if needed. In particular, lighter shades require a second coating. Try to cover your nail in three clean strokes, from the base to the tip.
- Seal in your nail polish with a top coat or a clear polish. It makes your nail polish last longer and prevents chipping.
- Use a cotton bud dipped in nail polish remover to clean up the edges.
Types of Nail Polish
Choosing a suitable nail polish can be stressful sometimes because of the many options available. Here is a simplified list to guide you.
Regular Nail Polish
What regular means here is the cliche glossy finish nail polish that everyone owns. It is shiny and smooth and a safe bet as well. Generally, they come in almost all possible colours.
Matte Nail Polish
It is similar to regular nail polish, but it lacks a lustrous shine. They are perfect for a muted look. However, matte nail polishes tend to chip faster than their glossy counterparts. The best way to deal with this would be to apply a matte topcoat over it.
Glitter nail polish
This type of nail polish screams out parties and celebrations. They contain glitter particles that come in different sizes, owing to their versatility. Also, glitter nail polishes are long-lasting. Remember to use the tip of your brush to apply for an opaque finish.
Chrome Nail Polish
Chrome nail polishes are nothing but metallic colours. Similar to glitter nail polish, they also stay on for a longer time. These colours are perfect for spicing up any boring outfit. It is safe to say that they will surely make heads turn.
Gel Nail Polish
You don’t have to make a trip to the salon to get gel nails. Several companies have gel nail polishes that you can use from the comfort of your home. Since gel nail polishes are very glossy, there is no need for a topcoat as well. These nail colours are gleaming and lustrous, and long-lasting.
Breathable Nail Polish
Your nails need to breathe too. Sometimes, changing from one colour to the next does not allow them their breathing space. Breathable nail polishes are here to solve this issue. They allow water and oxygen to reach your nails and are the healthiest form of nail polish.
Five-free Nail Polish
Some nail polishes have five main toxic ingredients in them. The five-free nail polish does not include formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, formaldehyde resin, and camphor. Therefore, those with damaged nails can opt for such toxic-free nail polishes.
Longwear and Chip Resistant Nail Polish
The name is self-explanatory. So, if you require your nail polish to last for multiple weeks without chipping, this is your best choice.
Quickdry Nail Polish
Do you lack the patience to wait for your nail polish to dry? Then simply choose a quick-dry nail polish. They dry themselves within seconds, thereby preventing you from smudging them.
Now that you know about the different nail polishes choosing the right colour is a piece of cake. As a rule of thumb, choosing a colour that shares your undertone can never go wrong. For nude shades, go for nail colours that are a shade lighter or darker than your skin tone. In the end, all that matters is that you have fun with them and enjoy the process.