As the name suggests, a study lamp is used to ‘study’ something closely. It focuses light on a specific region, allowing you to focus clearly on the item of interest without disruptions. Study lamps are important for students or anyone who spends extended hours working from home or the office and/or enjoys reading. If you are looking to buy a study lamp online for your work desk or to multi-purpose it as a bedside lamp, continue reading to learn what makes a lamp well-designed, functional, and worthy.
Benefits of a Table Lamp
Apart from the core benefit of illumination, study lamps have other benefits too:
- Enhances the interiors of a space by adding a decorative element
- Can offer soft illumination for the whole night, especially for the youngest house members who are afraid of the dark and the oldest members who do not want to stumble at night.
- Soft lights are less invasive and can provide enough light to one person, specifically without disturbing the other person in the room. This is most beneficial when two people share a room.
- Table lamps are usually attached to a cable and switch, making them convenient to switch on and off, especially if placed on the side table of a bed.
- Table lamps are flexible and can be moved around as they are not wall-mounted
Why Is It Important To Have A Table Lamp?
While the benefits above are convincing enough, the most important factor lies in the safety of our eyes. Adequate lighting supports visibility and safety, especially after dark. Light can potentially reduce fatigue and eye strain, keeping us alert and, thereby, improving mood and productivity.
Steps to Finding The Perfect Table Lamp Online
Assess Your Lighting Needs
The first step towards purchasing the perfect study table lamp is to ascertain your lighting needs in the allocated space. Consider the following factors:
- Study the Environment: Identify the room or area where you will be using a lamp. Will it be a dedicated study room or a corner of an existing bedroom? The size and layout of your room can influence lighting options for the space.
- Types of tasks: Think specifically about the tasks you will be performing in this space. Would it be a reading nook? Or would you need lighting to assist you during extended hours in front of a screen? Different tasks require different intensities of lighting.
- Brightness levels: If you are looking for modern table lamps for home, you probably do not want the brightest lamps, but ambient ones that can instantly give a cosy vibe. It’s important to determine the brightness levels required for the space by studying the listed FC (foot candles) and Lm (Lumens). FC is the measurement of the lamp brightness on any given item, whereas lm represents the intensity of the lamp light. Therefore, the higher the lumen rating, the more light it’ll generate.
- Battery operated or chargeable: Knowing this early on can help in planning socket points for the table lamp to be charged, should it not be battery operated.
Type of Lighting
There are various sources of lighting that can influence the mood of the room. The three most common options are:
- Incandescent: This sort of lighting uses the classic light bulb as lighting source. Lamps with these shimmer a cosy, warm yet less-energy efficient light. Incandescent lights tend to have a shorter life span.
- Compact Fluorescent (CFL): More energy efficient than the above, these lights also have a longer life span than incandescent lighting. The only downside? They take a moment to reach full levels of brightness.
- LED (Light Emitting Diode): These are highly energy efficient and the most preferred choice in a study table light for any home. This is because LED lights are the most cost-effective choice, and that gives optimal performance in sleek designs.
Measured in Kelvin (k), the colour temperature impacts the warmth or coolness of the light. The two main colour temperature categories are:
- Warm white (2700K-3500K): The ideal colour temperature to create a cosy, warm ambiance, and is considered apt for table lamps for living rooms used for reading and relaxing.
- Cool white (3500K-5000K): Cool white lights are perfect for energising the space and are best suited for focused tasks like studying and working. This is because cool white light mimics daytime light and directly reduces eye strain. It also keeps the brain active.
For the best outcome, choose a lamp with an adjustable colour temperature to adapt to your personal needs.
Ace brands like Wakefit have spent more than 1500 hours researching ergonomic options that make their products the smartest option possible. Here are some of the features to look out for that can customise the lighting of your space:
- Brightness: Adjustable brightness levels are essential to be able to match your needs.
- Adjustable arm and head: A well-designed lamp with a flexible arm and head allows the user to direct the light where required.
- Colour temperature control: The ability to switch between warm and cool light to be able to suit the mood. The Wakefit Porco study lamp, for example, has five modes of colour temperature that can be switched in a jiffy. In addition, it also has additional features, like a charging pad for your phone!
Energy-efficient table lamps not only save you money on your electricity bill but also reduce your carbon footprint.
Ergonomics and the positioning of a table lamp are crucial to preventing eye strain. Ensure the table lamp has a steady base with an adjustable arm to throw light across your workspace. The aim is to reduce glare and shadows that could cause disruptions.
The visual appeal of your table lamp should, ideally, blend in with the rest of the aesthetics of the room. Study lamps come in different styles, from sleek and modern to classic and traditional. Pick a table lamp design that is most suitable for your interiors.
Finding the perfect table lamp for your space should be based on your specific needs, preferences, and budget. By considering the above factors as a guideline, you can make an informed choice about enhancing your study area or work environment. A well-chosen lamp can enhance productivity, improve moods, and create a conducive space for learning and relaxation.